Start Location: Giethoorn
Discription: Take a boat trip around the sparkling waterways of Giethoorn, a tiny village in the eastern part of the Netherlands. Known for its whimsical vistas, stunning naturescapes and cute cottages. After the canal cruise you have plenty of time to visit Giethoorn by foor (with the free information app) Giethoorn makes for a magical day out. Get there with the day return e-tickets (train and bus).
Offer: Price per person: € 26
- Admission e-ticket for 1 hour boat ride in Giethoorn, the Netherlands.
- Day return e-tickets (train and bus) from any station in the Netherlands to Giethoorn.
- Free info app for walk around Giethoorn
Make a reservation for this tour immediately!
Venice of the North
Giethoorn is a historic little town in the Netherlands nestled amongst a never-ending series of canals and waterways. The only way to navigate most of the town is by boat. In fact, the postman still delivers mail to local residents by boat to this day. As the main cog in Overijssel’s canal system, Giethoorn – just like capital city Amsterdam – has earned the moniker ‘Venice of the North’. And just like Venice, you can tour the canals with a seasoned guide.
Giethoorn by boat
Enjoy the views of quaint thatched-roof cottages as you gently glide along Giethoorn’s picturesque canals. Departing from Restaurant De Rietstulp, a one-hour boat trip offers sweeping panoramas of Giethoorn’s historical village and Lake Bovenwijde. A skipper provides insight into the town’s history, and reveals hidden secrets in an hour of laid-back sightseeing. Cruising the canals of Venice of the Netherlands is a beautiful way to discover Giethoorn.
A delightful day out
After the boat trip, you’ll have plenty of time to explore the rest of Giethoorn. To take in Giethoorn’s skyline with a slightly adventurous twist, set off on a kayak or stand-up paddleboard. Or, take a leisurely stroll along the village bridges, overlooking stunning farmhouses complete with thatched roofs. Browse the charming local stores, and pay a visit to Museum De Oude Aarde in the heart of town. The oldest museum in Giethoorn houses all of Mother Earth’s treasures, including a wonderful collection of minerals and fossils. However you do it, there’s an endless array of charm and beauty waiting to be discovered in Giethoorn.
Special terms and conditions
- Special offer is available until December 31, 2020.
- E-tickets for Giethoorn are valid until December 31, 2020.
- Refreshments are not included.
- Promotion includes a day return e-ticket to Giethoorn.
- Valid from 9:00 a.m. Monday through Friday; all day Saturday and Sunday and not valid on King's Day, April 27, December 31
- Valid on NS, Arriva, Breng, Connexxion, Veolia and Syntus trains and buses.
- Not valid on Thalys train Amsterdam-Paris, not valid on Eurostar, valid with an Intercity Direct supplement between Schiphol and Rotterdam & ICE International.
- Tickets cannot be combined with any other offers or discounts. No refunds.
- The boat trip will not take place if it freezes, you will receive a hot drink with cake as compensation
Ds. T.O. Hylkemaweg 15
8355 CD Giethoorn
All year open
First boat leaves at 11 am
Last boat leaves at 3 pm
Accessibility by public transport:
from train station Steenwijk take bus 70
or bus 270 in the direction of Giethoorn,
get off at bus stop in Giethoorn at Dominee Hylkemaweg.
Walk up the Hylkemaweg for approx. 250 meters.
BOOK THIS TOUR